Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Brainmush

I should probably be getting ready for work right now. Not because my scheduled hours start in ten minutes but because I came in last Thursday at one. Because I had the time to spare and could use the money.

That was a mistake.

After graduation, and before I start nannying next week, I've had these two weeks to do almost anything - if only I had a car. I made the mistake of telling my boss this tidbit of information, and she being the crazy nasal speaker that she is took it as, "Please have me work 24/7 for the next two weeks, I would love to do anything to please you." That is not what I meant in the least.

So I've been picking up extra hours. That would be all fine and dandy if we were understaffed, but she has hired four more stylists, and now we're overstaffed. And she still wants everyone there all the fucking time.

Last Friday when I so graciously came in at one, there were ten of us there, with nothing to do. Same on Saturday, and Sunday.

I understand that the salon has to work a certain amount of hours each month, but instead of saying hey, we're down this many hours this month, who can make up a few? she says, "I need you to come in at this time and stay until this time." And then she has the nerve to put those in as your regular hours, and she knows they are not.

I'm really growing to resent her, and the fact that when I'm there I feel like I'm wasting my time because the commission I'm making doesn't amount to what it would if we had people in the waiting area rather than stylists bitching in the back.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love what I do. I love doing hair. I just don't like not having clients, or having clients that have bleached blond hair that's naturally dark and curly, or clients that don't know what they're talking about, etc. People are so stupid. Sometimes I can feel my brain shrinking at work. I'm not kidding. I'm also not sure if it's the incompetence around me or the overabundance of trash magazines, or both. For some reason when I try to read anything intelligible at work I can't focus, but the moment I pick up InTouch I can't focus on anything else.

No comments: