Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On being tolerant

It is 1:02 AM. I am staying up in an attempt to get some of the work I would otherwise have to do tomorrow, like writing a paper and applying for internships, and of course watching Conan O'Brien.



I finished my State Department application, but on the last page it has two options, "Activate Resume" and "Save for Later." Well, I'm done, I'm finished and I have hit "Activate Resume" about twenty times. Nothing has happened. I feel like it should take me to another page, but it doesn't, it just keeps refreshing. I'm not freaking out - I am frustrated. And since my dad works for the State Department I thought I'd give him a call to see if he knew what was up, but of course he didn't answer (since when does he go to sleep before one?).

While all of this is happening a bunch of girls from my floor come into the commons room/kitchen/tv room to make dinner? Or is it breakfast at this hour? Whatever, they were loud and cooking frozen meals in the microwave. Really. I mean, isn't it obvious that I'm busy, that I am working on something? Isn't it courteous to be quiet at night? Or at least try to? What the hell! AND THEN! And then, the fat one started to change the channel! WTF! I thought I had claimed my space. She noticed my look of terror and asked if I was watching this and after telling her that I was she proceeded to complain about late night comedy - all the while talking loudly to her miniature roommate.

This girl (I should probably know the names of the girls on my floor by now, but I don't, because they are like this) is one of those people that puts items in the microwave for much longer than they need to be microwaved and checks on them every thirty seconds. Do you know how annoying that is? Microwave doors, when combined with loud girls, are increasingly loud. While waiting for her meal, she discussed how healthy pasta is, despite the huge calorie count on the label. I really wanted to explain to her that that was the reason she, and everyone who has gained the "freshman fifteen" are fat, but I didn't, and it was hard. Because she was annoying. And fat. And loud. And obviously clueless. Dude! She didn't even press the "clear/cancel" button when the food was done. Because that is what those people that put food in the microwave much longer than they need to be microwaved do! They don't clear it! And then it beeps! And then it says "Press Start" across the little screen until someone presses clear! AGH!

Anyway, she is gone now. And I am watching Conan in peace.

1 comment:

Brann...it's good for you. said...

"She didn't even press the "clear/cancel" button when the food was done. Because that is what those people that put food in the microwave much longer than they need to be microwaved do! They don't clear it! And then it beeps! And then it says "Press Start" across the little screen until someone presses clear! AGH!"


Whoa...that bothers me, too...scary...